Spot-on flea & tick treatments blamed for bad reactions and deaths in canines

This is the time of year many pet owners enjoy the fresh air, taking long walks and trips with their pets.  Many of us apply monthly flea and tick topical “Spot-on” treatment, conscientiously making sure our fur babies are not subject to nasty ticks and fleas while out romping.  Well, be forewarned, some of these products may be causing other problems with your pooch. If you are still having a problem with fleas after using a topical then try one of these Flea combs, this flea comb is effective for removing flea debris, mites, ticks, and dandruff flakes to keep your pet well groomed.

One of our neighbors experienced problems with her bichon frise, who’s skin became red and extremely enflamed.  The poor dog’s skin almost looked burned and she lost fur in the area.  Our neighbor took her pet to the vet and the vet gave her a topical antibiotic/soothing cream and told  her it was caused by the spot on treatment.  As a pet owner, to think that you caused this harm to your pet is emotional torture!

Some of the information we found is below. Click the link at the bottom of the page to read the full article.

An article we read on MSN.com stated,

“Some popular pet medication may be causing side effects such as seizures, tremors — even death.  The medication is meant to protect, but we found many pet owners complaining about dangerous reactions they say were caused by some flea and tick products.

Amy Vasquez said her dog, Mack, had a bad reaction to a medication.

“He would reach around and bite at himself,” Vasquez said. “He was scratching himself, and wouldn’t stop it.”

Normally, those are signs of either flea or tick bites. But, Vasquez said it was caused by a medication that is supposed to protect dogs from pests.

Vasquez bought Sentry Pro XFC, a spot-on flea and tick product that’s supposed to be applied directly to the pet’s skin.

“[It] had a nice package on it, and I thought it’s the most expensive one. So, it’s probably pretty good.” She said followed the directions.

“You kind of spread the fur and you just put it on about halfway down the back,” Vasquez said. Hours later, Vasquez said Mack was acting strange.

“He was jumping around like something was poking at him. He just wouldn’t sit still. I was like ‘What is wrong with this dog?'” Vasquez said.

Then, she said she looked at the spot where she’d applied the Sentry Pro XFC.

“It looked like the worst sunburn you’d ever seen. It was obvious it was exactly where Id applied it.” Vasquez said. “I gave him a bath, and washed it off. [That] worked until it got dry. Then, it came back. [Mack was] scratching, scratching and scratching. This went on and on until we gave him another bath.”

Vasquez said Mack still wasn’t better even after they gave him multiple baths. Vasquez said she went online, looking for answers. She found hundreds of posts complaining about the same problems.

“And, the other dogs had it worse,” she said.

Among the posts were complaints of vomiting, seizures, burning and open wounds. But, those are just some of the side effects dog owners said some spot-on flea and tick medication has caused.

We received videos and emails from dog owners across the country describing the “horror of watching our loved one suffer.” One e-mail described the pet’s reaction as like “watching them die.”

Many spot-on products use pesticides as the main active ingredient, because it kills pests like fleas and ticks. The products that contain pesticides are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Now, the EPA is taking a close look at what it calls a large and growing number of cases involving spot-on products and reports of side effects such as tremors, seizures — even death.”

Read the full story.

Connect with Us on Social Media:

Facebook comments:

One thought on “Spot-on flea & tick treatments blamed for bad reactions and deaths in canines

  1. I’m so glad you posted this!! Our Buster has bad reactions to the spot-on flea and tick treatments. These products are marketed as “perfectly safe” for all of our pets – and the fact is, they’re not.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge